– How the father works day and night to provide for his family. It shows how he is responsible enough and caring enough to provide for his family. Even though he barely makes minimum he has good morals to work this hard for them.
– The decision to move to the city was a better decision. The father made a better decision to move to a place where more opportunities for him and his family to grow and live a better life.
– The main character attending school is morally right. He could’ve sat at home but he took advantage of the city life and went to school for better opportunities.
– The mother was medically ill and not feeling well and the sister was pregnant. With this in mind, the protagonist went home to care for them. It shows his love and care for his family which is right and how it should be.
– It was morally correct of how the matriarch helped the man’s family pay for the mother’s medical bills and expenses. It shows how one should be helpful to others in need.
– The ex wife was morally correct when she came home and looked after the man after he had a heart attack.
– It was morally incorrect for the parents to give false hope to their daughter. They should not have told her it was okay for to go back to school but then to get her married instead.
– The teacher should never have punished his students for being too smart. If he is unhappy being a teacher then he should not vent out his unhappiness on his students for their right answers. It is also morally incorrect for the teacher to be doing something hes not happy with.
– The education system in rising Asia is morally wrong. Cheating will not get anyone anywhere. The corruption is horrible there, it is morally wrong to allow students to pass by paying their way.
– It was wrong for the protagonist to work for a company where they took off expired stickers off food and replaced them with new ones.
– It was wrong for the protagonist to steal DVDs for the girl. Stealing is morally wrong even if the girl was pressuring him he should have known better than to actually do it.
– It was morally wrong for the guard not to let the man in at the hotel in because of his looks. Looks should never be a factor in judging someone that is morally wrong.
– It was wrong for the pretty girl’s father to gamble his wife and daughter’s money like that. They worked for it and he should not take advantage of it like that.
– It was morally incorrect for the man to marry his wife whom he did not love. Love is an important factor in marriage and its morally wrong to marry someone who you do not love. It’s leading the other person on.
– It was morally wrong for the brother in law to take off with someone’s money like that and ruin the business. That was very wrong and horrible.
– Father: The father is a very virtuous character in this novel. He does his utmost best to ensure his family is in good condition. He makes sure he can do is best to supply for his family. He even moved his family from the village to the city in order to ensure a better life for them. The amount of love and affection he has shows how virtuous he is.
– Matriarch: The matriarch is very loyal and valued. She is very helpful. When the family did not have money to pay for the mother’s medical expenses, she was virtuous enough to pay for the expenses. She was very helpful in supporting the family during their rough times.
– Man’s wife: The man’s wife symbolizes the role of a woman in this book. She is classy, confident, caring and trustworthy in everything she does and how she portrays herself. Even when the man did not love her, she still came back and took care of him after his heart attack. She is very virtuous because she also does a lot of charity work and tries her utmost to help others in need.
– Pretty girl: The pretty girl was not virtuous. She first pressured someone to steal for her. She should not even be thinking of doing something like that let alone having someone steal videos for her. She also showed lack of care for her mother. Her mother was sick and she should not have just left her with her father who was a drunkard and gamble addict. She should have been selfless enough to stay back and care for her mother. She slept with a man not because she loved him but because of her own personal motives which is very unvirtuous.
– Brother in law: The protagonist’s brother in law was an unvirtuous man. He stole money from the business and ran away with it. Stealing is very wrong and unvirtuous. He should not have done something like that because it led to the protagonist in trouble with the police.
– Teacher: The teacher was not virtuous either. First and foremost, he was in a job that he was not happy with and due to this he let his anger out on his students. When the students were right and he was not he got very angered and would take it out on the students who did nothing wrong.
Virtuous & Non Virtuous
Protagonist- the man: The man was both virtuous and non-virtuous. He was virtuous when he had a strong desire to work for his money and be successful. Also when he took care of his mom and sister. He was very caring and showed the valued in embedded in him. However, he was equally non virtuous as well. First and foremost, he stole those DVDs which was wrong and morally incorrect. Also, he was not loyal to his wife. He did not love her and was not supportive of her. When she was pregnant and giving birth, he was absent for it. He should have been more up front and honest about his past. For example, he should have told his wife about the pretty lady however he chose to hide such information instead. He became greedy after money which is wrong. It’s good to be motivated but not to the point where money is the only thing that matters. However, towards the end he realizes and becomes virtuous.
List of Pleasures
– Moving to the city was full of measures. The family got to upgrade from their lifestyle in the village to something better. It must have been very exciting because there were no opportunities and everyone was going to live a better life.
– The pretty girl having sex on the rooftop was something pleasurable. In which satisfactions for both the pretty girl and man were met.
– The money the man started to gain from the business was pleasurable because it was the first time in his life he had been around with so much money.
– The man falling in love with the pretty was enjoying and sought him happiness for the time being.
– The matriarch paying for the mother’s medical bills. It provided the family with happiness and a burden of relief since they were unable to pay for it.
– The pretty girl’s father was a drunkard. Him drinking excessively gave him much pleasures.
– The man’s son ends up visiting gave the man pleasures to see his son after so long.
– The man helping those in need at the end probably was a pleasure since he was able to help those in need and make them happier.
List of Sufferings
– -When the teacher pulled on the man’s ear, the man suffered in pain both physically and mentally.
– The death of the man’s mother prompted suffering since it was mother who died he felt sadden.
– The man was suffering when the motorcyclist beat up the man just because he worked for a competing company.
– The pretty girl probably suffered a lot because of her family. Her father was gambling with her money as well as her mother’s and he was an alcoholic. Her mother was very sick. All of the suffering she went through regarding her family is why she left home.
– The pretty girl’s mother suffered when her daughter ended up leaving her to become famous. This is because it basically left her alone since her husband was a big alcoholic.
– The man suffered when he did not attain the rights as most people because of the poverty he lived in during the beginning
– The man’s wife went through a lot of suffering when her husband was absent during the time of her childbirth and during the times she needed him.
– The man was probably suffering when he was married to a woman he did not even love.
– The pretty girl underwent much suffering when she was diagnosed with cancer.
– The man suffered when the pretty girl died as that was his love.